Old Testament scholar Benjamin Noonan joins me in this episode to share about his important new book Advances in the Study of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic: New Insights for Reading the Old Testament (Zondervan Academic, 2020).
About the Book: Advances in the Study of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic by Benjamin J. Noonan offers a much-needed introduction to the issues in the current world of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic scholarship. This book fills a gap in the field of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic linguistics and provides an accessible, comprehensive, up-to-date, and linguistically-informed investigation of our understanding of these languages.
Topics addressed include:
- Linguistics and linguistic theories
- History of scholarship of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic
- Lexical semantics and lexicography
- Verbal stems
- Tense, mood, and aspect in the verbal system
- Discourse analysis
- Register, dialect, style-shifting, and code-switching
- Word order in Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic
- Dating of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic texts
- Teaching and learning Biblical Hebrew
About the Author: Benjamin J. Noonan (PhD, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion) is Associate Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew at Columbia International University. Noonan is the author of Non-Semitic Loanwords in the Hebrew Bible: A Lexicon of Language Contact and the coeditor (with Hélène Dallaire and Jennifer E. Noonan) of of “Where Shall Wisdom Be Found?” A Grammatical Tribute to Professor Stephen A. Kaufman.
Connect with Benjamin Noonan:
Get your own copy of Advances in the Study of Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic:
Subscribe to the Podcast: The Shaun Tabatt Show is syndicated over a wide range of distribution networks. Choose your favorite and subscribe.
- Click Here to Subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
- Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher Radio
- Click Here to Subscribe via Player FM
- Click Here to Subscribe via TuneIn
- Click Here to Subscribe via Google Play
- Click Here to Subscribe via Overcast
- Click Here to Subscribe via Spotify
- Click Here Subscribe Via iHeartRadio
Share the Love: If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.
© Shaun Tabatt and ShaunTabatt.com, 2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Shaun Tabatt and ShaunTabatt.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.