Welcome to The Shaun Tabatt Show! Today I sit down with Trevin Wax to talk about his brand new book This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel (B&H Books, 2017).
- Listen to it on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save Link As”
Here’s the ground we cover in our conversation:
- First off Trevin, since this is your first time on the show, let’s help the listeners get to know you better. Tell us a bit of the Trevin Wax origin story. (00:35 – 01:48)
- Talk to us about your current role at B&H. What does a Bible & Reference Publisher actually do? (01:49 – 02:40)
- Next let’s get into the story behind the book. Was there a particular circumstance or AHA moment that set you down the path of this writing project? (02:41 – 04:27)
- In the book you outline everyday myths culture is teaching us, describing our smartphones as myth-tellers. What are some of the deceptions our smartphones are planting in our hearts and minds? (04:28 – 08:04)
- You say that Hollywood and the Bible are after the same thing. What are they both striving for? (08:05 – 10:09)
- I know many Christians see their faith as a private part of their life. Why is that a problem? (10:10 – 14:05)
- Trevin, if we had the technology available to beam you in front of every reader as they finish This is Our Time, what parting challenge or word of encouragement would you want to share with each of them? (14:06 – 16:14)
- One last question before we wrap up. I know B&H has been making some significant investments into the Christian Standard Bible. What’s on the horizon for the CSB in the near future? (16:15 – 19:50)
- Trevin, if the listeners want to connect with you and find out more about your books, where should they go on the web? (19:51 – 20:24)
About the Book: Uncertain. Confused. Overwhelmed.
Many Christians feel bombarded by the messages they hear and the trends they see in our rapidly changing world.
How can we resist being conformed to the pattern of this world? What will faithfulness to Christ look like in these tumultuous times? How can we be true to the gospel in a world where myths and false visions of the world so often prevail?
In This is Our Time, Trevin Wax provides snapshots of twenty-first-century American Life. in order to help Christians understand the times. By analyzing our common beliefs and practices (smartphone habits, entertainment intake, and our views of shopping, sex, marriage, politics, and life’s purpose), Trevin helps us see through the myths of society to the hope of the gospel.
As faithful witnesses to Christ, Trevin writes, we must identify the longing behind society’s most cherished myths (what is good, true, beautiful), expose the lie at the heart of these myths (what is false and damaging), and show how the gospel tells a better story – one that exposes the lie but satisfies the deeper longing.
About the Author: Trevin Wax is the Bible and Reference Publisher for LifeWay Christian Resources. A former missionary to Romania, Trevin hosts a blog at The Gospel Coalition and regularly contributes to The Washington Post, Religion News Service, World, and Christianity Today, which named him one of thirty-three millennials shaping the next generation of evangelicals. His previous books include Counterfeit Gospels, Clear Winter Nights, and Gospel-Centered Teaching. He and his wife Corina have three children.
Other Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
Order your copy of This is Our Time:
Join the e-mail list:
Subscribe to the Podcast:
The Shaun Tabatt Show is syndicated over a wide range of distribution networks. Choose your favorite and subscribe.
- Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
- Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
- Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher Radio
- Click Here to Subscribe via Player FM
- Click Here to Subscribe via TuneIn
- Click Here to Subscribe via Google Play
- Click Here to Subscribe via Overcast
Share the Love:
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out and raising the visibility of the show.
© Shaun Tabatt and ShaunTabatt.com, 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Shaun Tabatt and ShaunTabatt.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.